If you or a loved one has been charged with a crime you must hire a criminal lawyer Elizabeth New Jersey residents turn to repeatedly when faced with this situation. Do not underestimate the importance of hiring the right lawyer. This is not the time to save money, look for a cheap way out or blindly hire whoever you heard was good. There is simply too much at stake. And, if possible, it is really best to identify the criminal lawyer in Elizabeth New Jersey you want to retain prior to being charged with anything. This is because when you’re charged with a crime, time is of the essence, stress levels are high and decision-making capabilities may be compromised. So, if you are able to interview lawyers before you’re in the proverbial hot seat, below are some things to consider when you are doing your search for the criminal lawyer Elizabeth New Jersey defendants rely on when they need legal representation.
- Experience: There are complexities in criminal law that only a skilled lawyer understands. Moreover every jurisdiction has its own set of rules or ways “things are done.” Hiring someone who knows his/her way around the courthouse in which your case is being heard is critical. It is only with experience that this knowledge can be gained. You might think you should hire a “big city” lawyer but, in truth, that is not the best choice. The best choice is to hire the most experienced criminal lawyer Elizabeth New Jersey residents trust time and time again when they are facing charges.
- Fees: Not all criminal lawyers Elizabeth New Jersey defendants hire have the same fee guidelines. Some bill their clients by the hour, some bill by the specific charges the client is facing, some require large retainers, and some require payment in full up front. It is important that you understand exactly how the Elizabeth New Jersey criminal lawyer whom you are considering charges so that you can be prepared and are able to pay those bills. However, as I said above, this is not the time to pinch pennies. Hire the best lawyer you can afford.
- Success Rate: When you are interviewing lawyers ask about his success rate. Does he win most of his cases? And what does he consider a win? Is a good plea deal (with or without jail time) a win or is a jury’s not guilty verdict a win? Make sure you understand that and are comfortable with that definition. Either way, a winning criminal lawyer Elizabeth New Jersey residents rely on repeatedly is the lawyer you want.
- Trust: The attorney client relationship is an important one. As with any important relationship trust is key. Does the lawyer have your best interest at heart? Or is there perhaps another agenda she may be pursuing? Fame? Effectuating a change in the law with you as the test case? A good criminal lawyer Elizabeth New Jersey want as their voice in the justice system is one that you have the utmost trust in.
- Comfort: Let me clarify what I mean by comfort. Do you feel at ease enough with your lawyer so that you can ask her any question you have about your case, her legal strategy and potential consequences of anything having to do with the charges you are facing? The criminal lawyer Elizabeth New Jersey families seek counsel from is a lawyer who will have no problem honestly answering any question you have.
Remember, it’s your freedom, your reputation, your life that is at stake when you are charged with a crime. Make sure you retain the best criminal lawyer Elizabeth New Jersey residents hire when they are faced with this very challenging, very stressful situation.