When You Need a Divorce Lawyer
If you need a referral for a top divorce lawyer Santa Monica offers, Jill Stanley of PROOF can provide you with one. As a licensed attorney herself, Jill Stanley recognizes the importance of choosing the right lawyer and takes seriously the referral process.
A top divorce lawyer Santa Monica couples seek out for advice and counsel will have experience with negotiating settlements under very acrimonious circumstances and know how to protect your rights and interests. Depending on your situation, you may have unique needs and may require the help of a lawyer with specialties on top of that of the usual matters that arise in divorce cases some of those areas may include any of the following:
- International custody law
- Guardianship of children or aged or informed parents
- Financial disclosure laws
- Beneficiary designations, asset transfers and assignations
- Restraining orders
Questions to Ask a Divorce Lawyer
When you meet with a top Santa Monica divorce lawyer, there are several important questions you will want to ask. Though you will most likely have a list questions prepared please consider adding the following ones to your list if they are not already on it:
- How much experience do you have in the area of family law?
- On average, how many divorce cases do you handle in a year?
- Have you worked on cases similar to mine?
- What would be your legal strategy if you were to take my case?
- Can you estimate how long you think it will take to resolve my divorce case?
- How long do you usually take to return phone calls or emails from clients?
- Do you have an after hours or emergency phone line? Can I reach you faster if an emergency develops? What do you consider to be an emergency?
- Will you be the only person in your firm working on the case? If anyone else will be doing so, may I meet with them?
- What is your billing policy? Do you require an upfront payment or retainer, before you begin working on my case? If so, how much?
- Will there be additional costs such as for private investigators, medical experts, forensic accountants, or other specialists? If so, can you approximate those costs for me?
An experienced lawyer will gladly and candidly answer all of your questions. And, because a divorce case is so personal and so emotional, it is critical that you hire the right attorney–one you are comfortable with and whom you trust.
Contact Jill Stanley of PROOF if you would like a recommendation for a top divorce lawyer Santa Monica residents turn to in these challenging times.