Week Ending 9.22.2017
- Kevin Hart’s extortion case heating up. Apparently the woman in the video is not the party demanding money for the footage. Read More
Taylor Swift may be back in court. The singer is being sued by songwriters who claim they wrote a song with similar lyrics to Swift’s “Shake it Off” more than 15 years ago and are seeking a portion of profits from Swift. For what it’s worth, we listened to both songs and, we have to agree with Swift’s counsel, defendants don’t seem to have much of a case.
Ryan Phillippe, aka Reese’s ex, in messy domestic violence situation. An ex girlfriend, Elsie Hewitt, is claiming, among other things, that he pushed her down the stairs; she has filed a lawsuit against him. Read More
The Georgia woman suing Usher for infecting her with herpes has revealed her identity. Laura Helm, formerly known as Jane Doe in legal documents, has said she had known Usher for quite some time and had more than one sexual encounter with him.
Tupac adorned items are big business and big lawsuits. Macys and Urban Outfitters joins the Jenner ranks of entities being sued for selling Tupac emblazoned items without permission or authority by the person who took the photos. Really, Macy’s and Urban Outfitters? We can maybe excuse the Jenners but you know better than this. Read more about Tupac.
Good news and bad news for Mel B in her lawsuit against Belafonte. Good news: it has been determined that she did not intimidate any witnesses on Stephen’s witness list. Bad news: judge presiding over the matter refuses to seal the case. For those who want to know PROOF opinion on this–we disagree with the judge. Given that there is so much sordid, sensitive information in this case, it really would have been better for the children if the matter were sealed. Shame on Stephen if he fought the sealing–his kid affected too. Read More
Week Ending 9.15.2017
- Kendall Jenner under fire again for using an image on her retail items without permission. This time, it’s Tupac. The photographer who took the pic said Jenner did not have authority to use it. The tee shirt on which the image appears (along with that of Jenner’s over it!!) is no longer for sale but that’s not enough to make the case go away.
- Madonna’s deposition testimony in connection with her stolen items case apparently did not go so well. TMZ first reported that her testimony shows that Madonna has no real reason to believe the woman who she accused of stealing her underwear and trying to sell it actually stole it directly from her. Read More
- Divorce final for Scarlett Johansson. The terms of the divorce settlement are confidential but all seems to be rather amicable, even the custody issue over their young daughter, Rose Dorothy is resolved without court involvement which is certainly serving the child’s best interest.
- Another lawsuit for President Trump–we’ve stopped counting. This time it’s the University of California and the state of California suing him over his decision to rescind DACA–Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, that program that protects young immigrants brought into the US illegally. They are arguing that his plan to rescind it is unconstitutional. Fifteen (15) other states have filed similar lawsuits.
- So much going on in the Mel B/Stephen Belafonte brawl it’s almost too much for Proof in Brief. First, there are allegations that Mel B engaged in witness intimidation and those claims are being investigated. Second, she has asked the court to seal the divorce and restraining order cases. This is understandable given the salaciousness of the allegations and the fact that she has young children. Read more
- In “Real Housewife Legal News,” Lisa Vanderpump is being sued by a luxury dog boutique. The boutique provided doggie couture to Vanderpump’s dog in exchange for some Instagram love and other publicity. The dog wore the clothes but allegedly the love never came for the boutique.
Week Ending 9.8.2017
- A French court ruled that topless photos taken of Kate, Duchess of York were an invasion of privacy. The photos were taken back in 2012 with a long lense as Kate and William were vacationing at a private estate. Interesting timing given it’s 20 years since Lady Di’s death which many still attribute to paparazzi. (Note: charges were ultimately dropped against paps in connection with her death.)
Usher responds to California lawsuit filed by 3 plaintiffs alleging he may have exposed them to Herpes. In his answer, Usher denied the allegations but the singer has still not released medical evidence proving he does not have the disease Click here to read the complaint filed against him.
- Dallas Cowboy Ezekiel Elliott just got a little luck. A federal judge granted the NFL Players Association request for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction to stop his six-game suspension stemming from the NFL’s finding that there was “substantial evidence” that Elliott committed acts of domestic physical violence against his former girlfriend,Tiffany Thompson.
The Mel B/Stephen Belafonte lawsuit continues with more damaging allegations. This time about a sham marriage that Belafonte purportedly arranged so the couple’s former nanny (with whom both he and Mel B are alleged to have had sexual relations) would not be deported. Read More
The family of Aaron Carter is very worried about him and the very real risk of suicide they feel may be present; they’ve had cops called to Aaron’s home several times recently. Read More
Fox News host, Charles Payne, will return to his show now that the Network has completed its investigation into sexual harassment claims. Payne was suspended earlier this summer pending the outcome of that investigation.
Week Ending 9.1.2017
- Kanye West will have to fight even harder to access insurance benefits for his cancelled tour. Insurer Lloyd’s of London has responded to Kanye’s $10 million lawsuit with a countersuit, saying they are not responsible. Read More
- Judge tentatively denies Richard Simmons’ transgender defamation claims against American Media Inc., publisher of both The National Enquirer and Radar Online. The fitness icon contended the publications defamed him by reporting between June 2016 and March 2017 that he was transitioning from a man to a woman when he was not.
- David Bowie’s image the focus of a new lawsuit. The Hard Rock Hotel in Palm Springs, CA is being sued for having Bowie’s image in several areas of the hotel. It’s not Bowie’s family who is suing but rather that of the photographer who took (and owns) the photo and says the hotel never received permission or a license to use it.
- Spotify facing a big copyright infringement lawsuit. The music streaming service is arguing that they are not like Napster and that streaming does implicate reproduction or distribution rights and such the copyright laws they’ve alleged to violate do not apply to them.
- Pretty Little Liars actor Brandon Jones, pleaded no contest (basically same as a guilty plea) to one count of misdemeanor assault with a firearm stemming from an altercation with a neighbor. Jones was sentenced to 180 days in jail, 30 days of community service and ordered to attend anger management classes.
- A federal judge in New York has found Chris Laurita, of Real Housewives of New Jersey fame, liable for fraud, negligent misrepresentation and tortious interference with contractual relations in connection with a bankruptcy case dating back to 2009.
Week Ending 8.25.2017
- Cosby hires new counsel, Thomas Masereau (lawyer to Michael Jackson, Mike Tyson, Robert Blake and Marion “Suge” Knight), for his second sexual assault trial. Per a defense request, the Court granted a continuance of the trial date. It has been pushed from November 6, 2017 to at a date to be announced but between March 15, 2018-April 1, 2018. Read More
- Rebel Wilson settled a defamation suit in which she was sued by a journalist who the actress called ‘total scum’ on Twitter and posted a picture of her. Problem was, Wilson incorrectly identified the journalist! Why the total scum reference in the first place? Apparently the actual journalist had harassed Wilson’s grandmother.
- Usher’s herpes lawsuits aren’t going away any time soon though he has allegedly filed a response to the Georgia victim’s case in which, among other things, he attempts to transfer responsibility to the victim saying she shouldn’t have had unprotected sex with him. Usher still has not made public a medical report proving he is herpes free.
- Rapper Meek Mill was arrested in New York recently for riding a motorcycle through Manhattan streets and allegedly disobeying traffic laws all based on a video that was posted on social media. Lucky for Mill, he was charged with misdemeanor reckless endangerment rather than the felony reckless endangerment. Whole case seems a little bit off as there are claims that Mill was shooting a video at the time of the incident and cops witnessed it and did not put a stop to anything.
- Actress Abigail Breslin is being sued by her former assistant. The assistant is claiming that he was fired without warning and was not paid for work he had already performed. Case will likely go away rather quickly as the money at stake is said to only be about $3500.00. If the firing was wrongful or discriminatory in any way then the case may hang around longer.
Week Ending 8.18.2017
- Joi Harris, a stunt person on the set of Deadpool 2, died when a motorcycle stunt she was performing went horribly wrong. She was an experienced motorcycle racer but Deadpool was her first job as a stunt person on a movie set. So far no talk of lawsuits but… Read More
- Divorce is final between Real Housewife Joanna Krupa and her ex Romain Zago. The couple had resolved all relevant issues out of court and the divorce was quick and easy. Krupa’s legal docket is now cleared as she recently settled her defamation case with Brandi Glanville.
- Twin Peaks actor Jeremy Lindholm has been arrested for allegedly beating his girlfriend with a bat. The victim was transported to the hospital but thankfully her injuries do not appear to be life threatening. Due to the circumstances surrounding the assault it is likely the charges the charges will be quite severe.
- Diddy (Sean Combs) has settled a long standing matter involving an altercation with a photographer. The photog claimed Diddy and his security guards attacked him after he took photos of the celeb. Likely more to the story here but the settlement is confidential which means we don’t know the terms.
- Taylor Swift victorious. Jury returns verdict in her favor finding that Denver radio DJ Mueller groped her during a 2013 station meet and greet. The jury also found that Swift’s mother and another member of her team did not interfere with Mueller’s business relationship with the radio station (translation: they were not responsible for his firing). Read More
Week Ending 8.11.17
- Taylor Swift took the stand in her case against the DJ who she alleges groped her during a radio station meet and greet. In typical Swift style, the singer rocked it. Clear, credible, solid witness. Read more
- Live Nation sued again in connection with a festival death. The suit stems from an incident involving a young woman who took Molly and died at the 2016 Hard Fest in California. As with other festival death suits, the claims center around insufficient water and poor access to appropriate medical care.Read more
- Oral arguments set for October 18, 2017 in one of the many cases in which Trump is named as a plaintiff. This one was filed on the first Monday of Trump’s new job as president and stems from the contention that his business dealings with foreign countries violated the US Constitution.Read more
- NFL takes action against one of its own. The League has suspended Dallas Cowboy Ezekiel Elliott without pay for six months after determining that he committed acts of violence against his former girlfriend. The League has said if he does it again he could be banned from the NFL for life. Finally. Thank you NFL.
- Lots of talk still swirling around about Usher, herpes and lawsuits but the truth remains very, very unclear. Best thing for Usher would be for him to release proof that he does not have the disease.Read more
Week Ending 8.4.2017
- Justin Bieber will not be charged with a violation or crime stemming from running over a photographer. Whether the photographer files a civil suit and seeks damages (injuries allegedly very minor, by the way) is another story. Certainly not a big deal for Bieber as he has been sued by paparazzi and involved in many lawsuits before. Read more
- Kanye West is suing his insurer, Lloyd’s of London, for failing to pay out any money on his claim stemming from the tour he cancelled due to suffering from mental illness. Read more
- Macklemore (a PROOF favorite singer, by the way), was involved in an auto accident. His car was totalled but luckily he did not suffer serious injury. The driver who hit him is alleged to have been drunk.
- Casey Affleck and Summer Phoenix (sister of actor River Phoenix) are getting divorced after nine years of marriage. The couple has two children together. Summer has kept the interesting name theme going with her boys–the eldest is Indiana, the youngest, Atticus. Read more
- Dog the Bounty Hunter (a former bails bondsman) has joined a lawsuit filed against New Jersey governor, Chris Christie. Dog opposes Christie’s bail reform bill. The suit alleges, among other things, that Christie’s reform lead to release of a man who shot and killed Christian Rodgers a few months ago.
- Special Counsel Mueller has empaneled a grand jury in his investigation of possible ties between Russia and the Trump campaign.
Week Ending 7.28.2017
- Via Twitter Trump announces people who are transgender are banned from serving in the military. Many celebs including Laverne Cox, Caitlyn Jenner, and Jesse Tyler Ferguson speak out against this decision. Note: should Trump seek to enforce the ban against the 1000s of transgender people currenting serving, he will face significant legal challenges.
- Usher settled a lawsuit for giving a woman herpes. Celebrity attorney Lisa Bloom tweeted that other women are reaching out to her regarding similar claims. So, as she asked: How much unprotected sex did Usher have after his herpes diagnosis? We don’t yet know but having unprotected sex, knowing you have herpes (or another STD) and failing to inform your partner is a violation of the law. Charlie Sheen was recently sued for allegations of exposing a woman to HIV, read more and other celebs have been sued for transmitting herpes to women. Read more
- More Trump Twitter news. The President blocked model Chrissy Teigen on Twitter. Clearly he is undeterred by the multi-plaintiff lawsuit filed against him by other blocked users (non-celebs, by the way). Read more.
- An LA jury awarded music producer, Quincy Jones, $9.4 million in damages for unpaid royalties stemming from his work with the late Michael Jackson. Jones was involved with producing some of Jackson’s biggest hit records including Thriller and Off the Wall.
- Game maker of Grand Theft Auto, Rockstar Games, is being sued again for using a likeness without permission. This time it’s psychic Miss Cleo via her estate (she is deceased) making the allegation that a fortune teller in the game resembles her. Both Lindsay Lohan and Karen Gravano of Mob Wives made similar claims. Neither was successful in their suits. Read more about Lohan and Gravano’s suit. Read more
Week Ending 7.21.2017
- OJ Simpson was granted parole for the remaining charges stemming from his 2008 armed robbery, kidnapping, assault (and whole slew of other charges) conviction. OJ will be released on October 1, 2017 and intends to live in Florida near his family. Read more
- Madonna was able to get a preliminary injunction to stop the sale of memorabilia that she says was taken from her. Items include a pair of her underwear, a hairbrush and a breakup letter Tupac wrote to the material girl. Read more
- Court grants Carmen Electra a restraining order against an obsessed fan, Daniel LeBlanc. Police found LeBlanc sitting in a car outside Electra’s house this past June. When asked who he was LeBlanc allegedly said he was her fiance.
- Aaron Carter arrested in Georgia on suspicion of DUI and drug possession after local police received calls that an automobile was drifting all over the road and driving into the median. Note in 2011, Aaron entered treatment for an undisclosed “emotional issues” as well as addiction. Read more
- Johnny Depp’s lawsuit against his managers is getting even uglier. His former management company filed a second amended cross-complaint against the actor and added even more information about Depp’s extravagant life style. Depp’s lawyers assert that the new allegations are further character assassination attempts of Depp.
Week Ending 7.14.2017
- OJ Simpson parole hearing scheduled for July 20, 2017. OJ has served 9 years of a potentially 33 year sentence for a 2008 conviction of of various crimes that included robbery and kidnapping. If granted parole, OJ could be released as early as October. Read more
- Shia LaBeouf arrested again, this time in Georgia for disorderly conduct, obstruction and public drunkenness after he reportedly approached someone to ask for a cigarette in the early morning hours, and became aggressive when he was told no, at which point he began shouting profanities at both passers by and police. Read More
- Trespasser arrested at Drake’s LA home. This is the second time in recent months that there has been an incident at his home, note though that the home is being renovated currently and Drake is not living there. Trespasser was allegedly not there to burglarize the house but rather to meet with Drake. Read more
- Twitter users suing President Trump, his Press Secretary Sean Spicer and his Director of Social Media, Dan Scavino. The users claim they’ve been blocked from the President’ Twitter account and that is unconstitutional– an infringement of their freedom of speech. Read More
- LA judge issued restraining order to Blac Chyna after her ex, Rob Kardashian, posted inappropriate pics of her on social media. Blac Chyna’s lawyer, Lisa Bloom, asserted that revenge porn is an act of domestic violence. Note, so far no criminal charges have been levied against Rob however revenge porn is in fact a crime in California. Read more
- John Bernecker, a stuntman on the Walking Dead and many other shows has passed away from injuries he sustained on the set of that show. Bernecker fell off a 25 foot high balcony Wednesday, July 12, 2017. Our sympathies go out to his family, friends, and loved ones.
Week Ending 7.7.2017
- Rob Kardashian gets kicked off Instagram for posting inappropriate pictures of his baby mama Blac Chyna. A rep for the platform said, “At Instagram we value maintaining a safe and supportive space for our community and we work to remove reported content that violates our guidelines.” So, kicked off Instagram for violating their rules but did Rob violate California’s revenge porn law by posting the pics? So far no word from LAPD that **he is being charged with anything but Blac Chyna is seeking a restraining order as a result of his cyberbullying. Note: Chyna is represented by Mischa Barton’s lawyer, Lisa Bloom. Read more
- Alison Sweeney, former host of Biggest Loser, was issued a restraining order against Jon Christopher LuVisi, a fan who was harassing her via social media. Sweeney tried repeatedly to block LuVisi but he would create new accounts and continue to threaten her. Hopefully this order which requires him to stay 1,000 ft away from Sweeney will deter him from any further contact. Scary stuff.
- Kanye West no longer interested in exclusive deals for his music. He has allegedly terminated an exclusive contract with Jay Z’s company, Tidal. Kanye believes Tidal failed to honor its financial obligations. Naturally Tidal has it’s side of the story which is that the contract is still valid and that Kanye breached it for failing to deliver certain music videos. No lawsuits filed yet by either side.
- Frye festival organizer, Billy McFarland, has been arrested for fraud. Charges stem for this actions related to the Frye festival this past spring, which we all know was an epic failure . . . or fraud. McFarland has been released on bail. Read more
- Poor choice by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. He closed New Jersey beaches over 4th of July because of a government shutdown over budget issues yet aerial photos showed him and his family out on the sand enjoying one of the very beaches he closed. Not cool, Christie.
Week Ending 6.30.2017
- Venus Williams is deemed the at fault driver in the June car accident that resulted in the death of a passenger in the other vehicle. According to the police report, Venus violated the right of way. Very likely a civil case is already underway by the family of the deceased and anyone else injured in this tragic accident. Note: this is NOT criminal case nor will it be or should it be. Despite the devastating consequences, it is a civil matter and the only real thing at issue is money. Venus has already expressed her sincere condolences to the family of the deceased.
- Journalist Kevin Powell claims that portions of the Tupac Shakur biopic, All Eyez On Me, was directly inspired by the stories he wrote for VIBE magazine back in the mid 1990s. Powell is suing the writers and producers of the movie, including Lions Gate Films, for copyright infringement. He said the following in a statement posted on his Facebook page, “After viewing the movie twice in the past few days, it is clear that my exclusive Vibe cover stories on Tupac Shakur (when he was alive), were lifted, without proper credit or compensation of any kind to me, and used in ALL EYEZ ON ME.” Read more
- Atlanta rapper Rich Homie Quan (whose real name is Dequantes Devontay Lamar) tour bus broken into. Allegedly thieves made off with up to $2,000 worth of gear. Been a bit of a rough time for Quan as in May 2017 he was arrested for felony possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. If convicted, penalty is steep: 30 years. Read more
- Sarah Palin filed defamation lawsuit against The New York Times. The former governor of Alaska and former vice presidential candidate is alleging that the newspaper defamed her when they wrote of her having a connection to the shooting of then congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords in 2011.
- Kendall and Kylie stopped selling tees with images of Notorious BIG once they heard from the lawyer for the estate of the deceased rapper. All it took was a cease and desist letter with a tight deadline and those shirts were pulled right from the website and no longer available for purchase. Biggie’s family said no one gave the Jenners permission to use his image. Smart that the Jenners quickly removed the merchandise from the site but this is not likely the end of this dispute as the estate may seek damages.
- Conrad Hilton, heir to Hilton hotels, pleaded not guilty to felony theft of an auto and disobeying a court order. Specifically, Hilton is alleged to have stolen a Bentley belonging to the father of his former girlfriend as well as violating a restraining order she had against him–allegedly he went to her house. In court this week, Hilton cleaned up well, looked respectful and kept his mouth shut which may not sound like a big deal but it kind of his for him. According to reports, last month when Hilton was in court on this matter he made a homophobic slur. Hilton released on $90,000 bail. Lucky he’s a Hilton.
- Charlie Sheen hit with HIV related lawsuit. Charlie Sheen might be feeling some deja vu because this is the second time in his life he’s being accused of exposing an ex-girlfriend to HIV. Sheen has openly discussed his HIV positive status and has known about it since 2011, but before he went public with his diagnosis, he apparently had a habit of keeping it from women with whom he was intimate. Read more
Week Ending 6.23.2017
- Mel B continues to fight back against Stephen Belafonte’s various requests for spousal support. He’s asking for too much for food, clothing and cell phone needs, she believes. Looks like this ex is going to need to start pounding the pavement for a better paying job. Good for you, Mel B, well past time to start sticking up for yourself. Read more
- Miles Teller arrested for being drunk public in San Diego. The actor could have gone to a detox center for a few hours but didn’t (couldn’t?) take the easy road and wound up arrested. Read more
- Judge in the Bill Cosby sexual assault trial has released the names of the jurors. Most aren’t talking and those who are seem to be telling conflicting stories regarding the split–meaning who was voting to convict and for what and who was voting to acquit. Read more
- Warner Brothers has reviewed the footage from the alleged sexual misconduct that occurred on the set of Bachelor in Paradise between castmates Corinne Olympios and DeMario Jackson. The powers that be have concluded all is well in paradise and the show is going on. Read more
- John Oliver sued for defamation, false light invasion of privacy, and intentional infliction of emotional distress, for comments he made on his show, Last Week Tonight, about the coal industry and some of its biggest players. Plaintiffs seek an unspecified amount in damages.
- Legal trouble for Electric Daisy Carnival. Live Nation and Insomniac, the festival organizer, are being sued by a man who died at the event in 2015. There was another death at this year’s festival and claims of poor access to water and medical care are being made. Is another suit on the horizon?. Read more
Week Ending 6.16.2017
- Judge grants Karrueche Tran 5 year restraining order against Chris Brown. Tran took the stand and testified to Brown’s threatening bad behavior. Brown was a no-show. Read more
- Big trouble in paradise–Bachelor in Paradise that is. Corinne Olympios, a contestant, is alleging that she was too drunk to consent when she engaged in sexual activity with another contestant, DeMario Jackson. Apparently there’s footage of the whole thing (not to mention witnesses). Both contestants are well known to the Bachelor franchise.
- Did Khloe Kardashian copy designer to the stars Destiny Bleu’s catsuit? Bleu seems to think so but Khloe has hired top lawyer, Marty Singer, to set Bleu straight. Singer is known for his aggressive lawyering so we will see if his recent letter to Bleu makes these claims go away.
- The family of deceased Playboy model, Katie May, has filed a wrongful death claim against Eric Marc Schwartz, the chiropractor who allegedly caused her death by inappropriate medical care and treatment. Katie May left behind an 8-year-old daughter, among other loved ones.
- Venus and Serena Williams’ 75 year old father, Richard is divorcing his 38 year old wife, Lakeisha. They have a 5 year old son together but that hasn’t kept the nasty allegations from flying including talk of guns and alcohol abuse.
Week Ending 6.9.2017
- Jessica Alba’s, The Honest Company, has settled its huge class action lawsuit for $1.55M Customers claimed the company misled them about some of the ingredients in its household products (so much for the company name, right?)
- Lots of witnesses took the stand during the first week of Bill Cosby sexual assault trial. Testimony has been heart wrenching and at times difficult to hear about this former icon. Read more.
- A-Rod the victim of extortion by a disgruntled ex? Allegedly he sent pretty explicit texts to a woman he dated and now she’s threatening to expose him unless he pays up.
- Taylor Swift enjoys small victory in on going case involving David Mueller, the DJ who she alleges touched her inappropriately. He had sued Swift for slander and other causes of action but a judge has thrown out the slander claims–the rest of the matter is going forward.
- An apology from The New York Post’s Page Six? Yup. In a recent article they dissed designer Kimora Lee Simmons claiming that her fashion line was implicated in corruption investigation in Malaysia, among other things. The article was full of untruths and Kimora was not happy. Page Six apologized and removed the post.
Week Ending 6.2.2017
- LeBron James victim of a hate crime. Someone spray painted the “n-word” on the front gate of LeBron’s LA home. The basketball great was not at home at the time; police have not yet made an arrest.
- Tiger Woods arrested for DUI. Blames it on prescription drugs. Tiger failed field sobriety test and refused to take breathalyzer test at the scene. Read more.
- Johnny Depp’s lawsuit against his managers getting messier. Apparently Depp now alleging they used his assets to hide their mistakes–to the tune of a 40 million loan that Depp is on the hook for and allegedly knew nothing about. Managers says he knew about the loan. Read more.
- CNN fired Kathy Griffin from appearing on the highly ranked New Year’s Eve special she hosts with Anderson Cooper. The firing came the day after photos of Griffin holding a bloody “Trump head.”
- Arrest at Trump International Hotel in Washington DC. Man allegedly had several weapons and ammunition with him. The man was taken into custody swiftly; no one was injured.
Week Ending 5.26.2017
- Ariana Grande has been staying with her mother in Florida since the tragic terrorist act after her Manchester concert that left 22 dead and scores injured. Grande, who is reportedly and understandably devastated by the incident has suspended her tour until June 7. According to her promoter this will allow authorities to “further assess the situation and pay our proper respects to those lost.”
- Creed star, Michael B. Jordan, joins the list of celebs who have been burglarized. Thieves broke into his San Fernando valley home allegedly by smashing a window. An unspecified amount of cash and jewelry was taken. No one was home at the time of the break in. Read more.
- Karreuche Tran’s request for a permanent restraining order against Chris Brown has been continued. This was not because of lack of evidence but because Tran didn’t show up in person to testify nor did her lawyers give the requisite notice to the court advising them that she would appear by phone. She’s on a tv shoot in New Orleans but given the seriousness of the allegations against Brown, we at PROOF believe it’s in her best interest to return to LA and appear in person for this matter. Read more.
Playboy model, Dani Mathers pleaded no contest to invasion of privacy (which, for all intents and purposes, is same as guilty plea) for body shaming an older woman at an LA gym by secretly photographing her, posting it on social media along with a nasty caption. She was sentenced to perform 30 days of removing graffiti and 3 years of probation. LA Fitness, the gym where the act occurred, has banned her for life
- Sandra Bullock’s #1 “fan,” Joshua James Corbett, pleaded no contest to stalking and first degree residential burglary stemming from his 2014 break in into Bullock’s LA home. He was sentenced to 5 years probation, ordered to seek continued mental health treatment, and to stay away from Bullock for 10 years.
- Kris Jenner gets permanent restraining order against Joshua Jackson, a former Kardashian security guard. Kinda scary, right? The person who previously was supposed to protect you is now someone you fear? First time we at PROOF feel badly for Kris Jenner. Well, you’re safe now, Kris. Kinda. At least you have that piece of paper.
Week Ending 5.19.2017
- Scary moments at A$AP Rocky’s house when armed men knocked on his door, held a gun to the woman who answered it, and then allegedly forced her to show them where the goods were. Apparently, the thieves made away with $1.5 million in jewelry and other valuables. Read more.
- Amber Rose had an uninvited, unwanted visitor. Apparently, a man entered her home early in the morning while Amber and others were asleep in the house. She only found out about the incident through her security cameras which showed the man entering the house and then leaving hours later. Allegedly nothing was stolen.
- Former New York Congressman (and subject of an awesome documentary, by the way), Anthony Weiner pleaded guilty in federal court in Manhattan to transferring obscene material to a minor– he was sexting with a 15-year-old girl. Weiner was released on bail and will be sentenced on September 8, 2017.
- Dina Manzo, of RHONJ fame and boyfriend David Cantin were the victims of a violent crime in their home in Holmdel, New Jersey. Two masked men entered the house, beat Manzo and Cantin, tied them up and stole their property. Both went to the hospital but did not suffer life threatening physical injuries.
- Rapper Travis Scott has pleaded not guilty to inciting a riot, disorderly conduct and endangering the welfare of a minor. The charges stems from a recent concert in Arkansas during which police say Scott “encouraged people to rush the stage.” His fans did so and suffered injury; security personnel were also injured. His attorney said Scott “only intended to put on a good show.”
Week Ending 5.12.2017
- Handwritten Harry Potter prequel was stolen from a home in England. The prequel was purchased at a charity event. Via twitter JK Rowling warned people not to buy the prequel if offered. Well done, JK! Way to cut the profit out of this despicable act! Might a crime fighting novel be next?
- Dance Moms’ Abby Lee Miller sentenced to one year and one day for bankruptcy fraud and bringing foreign currency into the country illegally. Read more.
- Trent Jackson wants Katherine Jackson to pay the over $50K in legal fees he incurred fighting the elder abuse claims she levied against him no that the case has been dismissed with prejudice. Read more.
- Massachusetts judge vacated Aaron Hernandez’ murder conviction for the death of Odin Lloyd based on what is known as the abatement doctrine. Basically, his lawyers argued that because Hernandez died before all of his appeals were exhausted the law mandates that the conviction be vacated. Prosecutors countered that because Hernandez killed himself the doctrine does not apply. The court disagreed. Conviction cleared. Read more.
- Beyonce fighting another intellectual property matter (she is already being sued for using someone else’s lyrics in her song, Formation). She is trying to trademark her daughter’s name again– she tried this once before–but this time she has added “Carter” to the request: Blue Ivy Carter. An event planning company of that same name, Blue Ivy, existed before Beyonce and Jay Z’s Blue Ivy was even born. They want to continue using the name and stop Beyoncé from owning it. Good luck Blue Ivy events, quite a deep pocket you’re fighting (Btw, we think you’re in the right here!).
Week Ending 5.5.2017
- The court has granted Kris Jenner’s request for a restraining order against Joshua Jacobs, a former security guard. He has repeatedly tried to contact her and has shown up at her home despite being fired. After three times, enough is enough. Jacobs now must stay away from Jenner and her home or risk arrest.
- Jury selection in Bill Cosby case set to begin on May 22, 2017 in Pennsylvania. Note cameras will not be allowed in the courtroom at any point during this trial.
- A win for Mel B. The court awarded her a restraining order against her former nanny, Lorraine Gilles, for five years. Gilles is still maintaining her defamation suit against Mel B stemming from Mel B’s allegations that Gilles had an affair with Mel B’s estranged spouse, Stephen Belafonte, and that he impregnated her. Read more.
- The Eagles have had enough with Hotel California. Not the song but rather the hotel in Mexico of the same name. The band has sued the hotel owners who bought the hotel, which at the time had a different name (the owners changed it back to Hotel California which was the original name of the building back in the 1950s). The Eagles say the couple is making money pretending there is a connection between the hotel and the band. There is not. The band seeks to stop them from using the name Hotel California and to stop implying that there is a connection between them and the hotel. They are also seeking money damages.
- Fyre festival feeling the legal heat. A $100 million class action lawsuit has been filed against the festival organizers for failing to to deliver on even the most basic of their promises which includes providing adequate food and shelter. The suit claims attendees were left in a life-or-death situation. Read more.
Week Ending 4.28.2017
- Sony breaks ties with Dr. Luke. He is no longer CEO of Sony wholly owned Kemosabe Records. Dr. Luke’s lawsuits involving Kesha are still active, several of her claims against him are on appeal, his defamation suit against her is still alive as is one of her counterclaims against him. Free Kesha!
- Lupita Nyong’o was used as a ploy by Roland Scahill, a Broadway producer, to raise money for a nonexistent play. Scahill pleaded guilty to grand larceny and fraud for scamming people into investing more than $165,000 in this nonexistent play about opera star Kathleen Battle by telling telling them Nyong’o was starring in it.
- Khloe Kardashian sued for copyright violation for posting a picture of herself. Sounds ridiculous, right? Apparently Khloe posted a picture of herself at a Miami restaurant that a UK company owned and never authorized Khloe to use. The company is seeking an injunction, profits resulting from the violation, and damages of up to $25,000.
- Former Bachelor Chris Soules was charged in Iowa with leaving the scene of a fatal crash, a class D felony. He faces up to five years in prison if he is convicted. Oddly enough Soules checked on the driver and called 911 before leaving the scene.
- More masturbation trouble for Delta. First it was a male cargo employee and now it’s a passenger. A male passenger was masturbating on a flight from South Carolina to Detroit and allegedly flight attendants knew this yet they allowed him to walk freely from the bathroom to his seat where he allegedly continued to masturbate and touch the thigh of the female passenger next to him. Read More.
Week Ending 4.21.2017
- Former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez committed suicide while in prison just days after a Massachusetts jury found him not guilty of the double murder of two immigrants. He was serving a life sentence without parole for a prior murder conviction.
- Fox FINALLY fired Bill O’Reilly after several women accused him of sexual harassment and an internal investigation revealed that there were other such claims. Good work by attorney Lisa Bloom who represents 3 of O’Reilly’s victims. Bloom’s tweet said it all: “When women speak our truth the old order shatters. We slayed the dragon.”
- La La and Carmelo Anthony have separated after almost 7 years of marriage. Neither party has filed for divorce yet. Allegedly the couple has a prenuptial agreement which addresses the division of assets so, at least that part of the case, should they ultimately file for divorce, will likely be resolved smoothly. They have one son, Kiyan, together.
- Chris Brown has been involved in an alleged altercation at a Tampa club. Bennie Vines, a photographer, said he tried to take crowd shots at an event where Brown was in the DJ booth and that when Brown noticed him taking pictures, which Vines was earlier asked not to do, Vines alleges that Brown attacked him causing lacerations and injuries to Vines’ mouth.
- A federal judge in Illinois has refused to dismiss a class action lawsuit brought my minors for the way the television show Empire took over the detention center where the minors were residing. Empire’s actions caused them to live in virtual lockdown for days without access to their normal activities including school, the recreation yard, and the infirmary. Allegedly during this time sick requests were ignored and the minors were unable to visit with their families.
Week Ending 4.14.2017
- Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck are getting divorced after almost 12 years of marriage. We at Proof had so hoped these two would be able to work it out but kudos to them for the mature way in which they are handling the split. Affleck has already filed a response and, as the world knows, both are committed and involved parents, who are making it clear they want to stay that way–both both agree to joint physical and legal custody of their three young kids. We’re sad about this one.
- Louis Tomlinson will not face criminal charges stemming from a fight at LAX in March. In an interesting delivery of justice, both sides will appear before a hearing examiner to discuss what occurred, address their respective conduct but charges will not be filed.
- David Dao, the doctor who was forcibly dragged from a United airlines flight, and suffered injury, is likely to pursue a lawsuit against United as well as the City of Chicago. Dao’s lawyers have requested that all evidence relating to the event be preserved including but not limited to video surveillance, cockpit voice recordings, and passenger and crew manifests. Note that the Chicago Department of Aviation has placed employees on administrative leave as they continue to investigate the incident as it was employees from that Department that aggressively dragged Dao from the plane.
- Melania Trump has settled her libel case against The Daily Mail related to their allegation that she worked as an escort. The terms of the settlement include a public apology, which has been supplied, as well as the requirement that the newspaper pay her damages and litigation costs.
- Tyga’s company is not paying its legal debts and that’s not ok! A woman was awarded over $200,000 for injuries she suffered at a Tyga concert in Michigan. Despite repeated requests for payment for this legal, official judgment, no money has been paid. Interest continues to rack up and the victim has a lawyer seeking payment on her behalf.
- Blake Shelton has settled his defamation case against In Touch magazine. Shelton was not happy when without basis, In Touch, splashed across a front cover that Shelton was a drunk and going to rehab. No official word on what In Touch had to pay to make the case go away (case has been dismissed) but no doubt it was not a small sum given Shelton’s level of fame and his reputation.
- Aaron Hernandez has been found not guilty of murder in the shooting deaths of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado. He was found guilty of unlawful possession of a gun. Note however that Hernandez is currently serving a life sentence for a different murder. Read more.
Week Ending 4.7.2017
- As if Kendall Jenner’s Pepsi commercial hasn’t caused enough problems now there may be a legal issue. The police department at the “protest” is supposed to be the San Francisco Police Department–there’s an emblem on the sleeves of officers that says San Francisco Police with an image of an eagle. Though not an exact match, the patch looks much like the real SFPD. Problem is apparently Pepsi never asked for permission to use this likeness. The City Attorney is investigating.
- Poor Mel B. It has not been a good week–or a good ten years for that matter. Mel B filed for divorce from Stephen Belafonte about a month ago; she initially sought joint legal and physical custody of their daughter, Madison. She has now changed that and is seeking sole custody. Considering all the claims out there and stories about guns, sex, and violence regarding Belafonte this move is not surprising. Read more.
- More good legal news for Mischa Barton. The TROs (temporary restraining orders) she recently received against two ex boyfriends who are shopping a sex tape of her have been extended. Good for you, Mischa! Read more.
- Tinder-related lawsuit is an interesting one! Screenwriter Derek Connolly, who has been involved in some very big budget projects such as Jurassic World and Star Wars: Episode IX has alleged that his privacy has been invaded and he is being stalked by a woman he met on Tinder. The two dated for a while but apparently their break up was very ugly so ugly that the scorned Tinder gal posted their text messages on Instagram and has threatened his career and his safety.
- Model, Stephanie Seymour has completed a program for alcohol abuse and now her two DUI charges have been dismissed. This is precisely how Mel Gibson (and many others) was able to get his drunk driving charges dismissed. Read more.
- Bad ruling for Hunter and Kathleen Biden in their divorce. After initially exposing lots of dirty laundry in public documents the couple asked the court to seal the documents to protect their children and avoid embarrassment. Too late said the court. Should’ve thought about that before you put it all out there. Request denied.
Week Ending 3.31.2017
- Emmy Rossum is the latest celeb to have her jewelry stolen from her LA home. Apparently she made it super easy for the thieves. Right next to the two safes in which her jewelry was stored were the combinations–to both safes. For more information on the rash of burglaries sweeping through LA. Read more.
- California Court of Appeals says Floyd Mayweather did nothing wrong he outed his ex-fiance, Shantel Jackson and told the world he broke up with her because she had an abortion. Nice guy. Read More.
- Shia LaBeouf, a PROOF favorite, gets some legal good news. Charges have been dropped against him stemming from his January arrest in New York that resulted from an alleged fight with a protester at Shia’s anti-Trump live stream protest, HeWillNotDivide.Us. Read More.
- Jennifer Lopez is slapped with a lawsuit. Ms. Lopez wanted hoverboards for her Las Vegas show and not surprisingly, she got them. Part of the deal (she wasn’t charged for the boards) was that she was supposed to do promo work for Sidekick, the manufacturer of the hoverboards. Apparently that work wasn’t done. Sidekick is suing her for the almost 55k they say they spent on the custom board as well as other damages. We at PROOF prefer One Wheels to hoverboards–maybe she would have had better luck with them.
- Michael Jackson’s mother is back in court. In early February 2017, Katherine Jackson obtained a restraining order against her nephew and long time caretaker, Trent Jackson for elder abuse. She has been in London but this week was ordered to return to LA to testify in the matter or risk dismissal of the case. (I will be sending a longer article on this but not likely till Monday) Read More.
- Michael Irvin, former wide receiver for the Dallas Cowboys is under investigation by Fort Lauderdale police for sexual battery. A woman claimed he raped her at the W hotel. Irvin denies the claims. Oddly this is the third time Irvin has been accused of sexual assault. Note though, he has never been formally charged in connection with any of those accusations. Read More.
Week Ending 3.24.2017
- Rapper Wyclef Jean is calling for an investigation of racial profiling after being being stopped, handcuffed and detained by sheriff’s deputies in West Hollywood on Tuesday, March 21, 2017. Read More
- Los Angeles County Jim McDonnell’s wants to send to prosecutors the names of deputies who have committed serious police misconduct on the job. Thursday, March 23, 2017, an LA County Sheriff’s civilian oversight commission expressed its support of McDonnell.
- Lawsuit involving LA Dodger’s sports channel has settled. On Thursday, March 23, 2017, the DOJ (U.S. Department of Justice) resolved the claims with AT&T that a high-level DirecTV executive illegally colluded with other pay for tv companies in Southern California to block the rollout of the Dodgers’ channel.
- Footage from former Dallas Cowboy lineman Greg Hardy’s cocaine arrest has been made public. He was cooperative and calm throughout though it was clear that officers were intimidated/concerned by his 6’5″, 280 pound frame.
- Melissa Eckstrom, 28 year old daughter of Deadliest Catch captain, Sig Hansen, has alleged that her father sexually abused her as a toddler. Hansen denies the claims. The case is now in the hands of the Court of Appeals in Washington state– it is deciding whether a lower court ruling allowing the case to go to trial is correct.
Week Ending 3.17.2017
- Another Kardashian crime victim. This time it’s Kendall Jenner. She reports that $200,000 worth of jewelry was stolen from her jewelry box in her Hollywood Hills home. Not likely a target of the recent knock-knock burglaries–most think it’s someone she knows who had valid access to her house, albeit not access to go into her jewelry box and take her stuff! Read More
- More Kardashian legal drama this week as their Melrose clothing store, Dash, was vandalized. Dash not having much luck recently as the famous sisters closed the Dash NY location this past December. The Las Vegas location has been shuttered for more than 2 years. Maybe retail just isn’t for them. Read More
- Victory for Mischa Barton who has received restraining orders against two ex boyfriends who are shopping a sex tape and other intimate photos they took of her without her consent or knowledge. Poor Mischa Barton–it has been a rough couple of weeks. Recall she was recently hospitalized for a mental evaluation. I am glad she won this round and hope those images will not see the light of day. Read More
- Amanda Seyfried is also fighting a battle related to nude photos. Apparently computers of celebs are being hacked– nude photos are the targets and such images of Seyfried have popped up on the internet. Seyfried is threatening to sue if the photos aren’t taken down immediately. Talk about an invasion of privacy! What is with all these predators this week?
- Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott have more financial bad news (he was recently in court for failing to pay child support to his ex wife). This time it is in connection with a loan they have failed to pay back. The bank, City National Bank (who we reported actor, Steven Dorff, is in financial hot water with as well) wants their money back and has asked the court to enter a default judgment against the couple.
Week Ending 3.10.2017
- Louis Tomlinson (of One Direction fame) was arrested at LAX after an altercation with a photographer, and a woman who was videotaping the incident with her cell phone. Tomlinson was released after posting bond of $20,000. So far he has not been formally charged but prosecutors a are reviewing the matter. Even if criminal charges are not filed, Tomlinson is likely to face a civil suit.
- Scarlett Johansson and her husband of two years, Romain Dauriac are getting divorced. The major issue in this dispute isn’t money as the couple had a prenup but rather of their young daughter, Rose Dorothy. Read More
- Oscar De La Hoya has been formally charged with 2 counts of DUI stemming from his stop and arrest in January. As PROOF previously reported, De La Hoya has been fighting addiction for years. Read More
- Actor Stephen Dorff is in legal and financial trouble. He is being sued by City National Bank for breaching a personal line of credit agreement. Dorff allegedly owes over $800K. Though not a household name, Dorff has worked on some big name projects with big name directors.
- Hunter Biden and Kathleen Biden seek to resolve their divorce privately–this after a week of ugly accusations involving hookers, affairs and drugs and alcohol. Good choice by this couple. Private mediation may be able to resolve the matters in dispute in a less public way, which would be a good thing given that Hunter is dating his deceased brother’s wife, Hallie. Mediation has worked for many other high profile couples, let’s hope it works for these two. Read More
Week Ending 3.3.2017
- Christopher Darden, one of the LA County prosecutors of OJ Simpson fame has some troubles with the law himself. Looks like a baby mama of his is seeking a restraining order saying that he is harassing her and she is afraid of him. Darden denies all allegations. Note, he obtained a restraining order against her last year! Read More
- Chris Brown has more legal problems. Two TROs (temporary restraining order) were issued against him in February 2017. His ex girlfriend, model, Karrueche Tran got one and now, one of Tran’s closest friends, Joseph Ryan LaCor, has one against him too. Read More
- Casey Anthony, who was acquitted of murdering her daughter, Caylee, may have accidentally killed her daughter with chloroform, so says the judge who presided in the matter. The judge is no longer on the bench and works in the private sector. Authorities were never able to determine an exact cause of death for Caylee. Read More
- President Trump faces yet another lawsuit. This time for campaign fundraising violations. The complaint was filed with the FEC (Federal Elections Commission) and alleges that the campaign fundraising activities that occurred after election day violated federal election law.
- Caitlyn Jenner and LaVerne Cox both supporting Gavin Grimm, the transgender student whose case is about to be heard by the US Supreme Gavin, who was born a female but identifies as a male wants to be able to use the boy’s bathroom at school but has been denied such access.
Week Ending 2.24.2017
- Dean McDermott, husband of Tori Spelling, and father of their four (soon to be five) children has not been making child support payments to MaryJo Eustace, his ex-wife and mother of his son, Jack. Eustace filed court documents in LA seeking to force McDermott to make the payments. Read More.
- Nick Cannon, who just quit America’s Got Talent, because he felt he was mistreated by the show (He said he felt silenced, controlled, and treated like a piece of property), is now facing a lawsuit on an unrelated matter. Enrico Taylor is suing Cannon for stealing Taylor’s idea for a talent discovery app. Taylor is seeking $1.75 million in damages. Read More.
- Chris Brown is in trouble again for violence against women. Karrueche Tran, Brown’s ex-girlfriend, obtained a restraining order against Brown after she claimed in legal documents that Brown said he would kill her. Tran also said Brown has been violent with her in the past.
- Darius McCrary, former star of Family Matters, and his estranged wife, Tammy Brawner, are embroiled in a bitter domestic violence dispute–with both sides claiming abuse against the other. Brawner also claimed that McCrary held their one-year-old daughter over a pot of boiling water. Both Brawner and McCrary now have restraining orders against the other. Read More.
- President Trump revoked protection for transgender students put in place by Obama in May 2016. Obama ordered that public schools must allow transgender students to use the bathroom that matched their chosen gender identity. If the school failed to comply with this, their funding would be affected. It was lauded as a civil rights victory.
Week Ending 2.17.2017
- Harrison Ford is being investigated by the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) because he landed his plane on the wrong runway at John Wayne Airport in Orange County. In doing so, he flew over an American airlines jet carrying 110 passengers and six crew members.
- Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family services have placed Lisa Marie Presley’s (daughter of Elvis) twin daughters in protective custody. Apparently, authorities found “pictures and disturbing videos” on the computer of her estranged husband, Michael Lockwood. Presley, who filed for divorce from Lockwood in June 2016, said she was “shocked and horrified and sick to my stomach” when she discovered the photos.
- Justin Bieber is making legal headlines again this week. Once for claiming he was sick (photos and videos show him partying hours earlier) and blowing off a deposition in a copyright case in which he is being sued. Second, for an alleged assault in a Hollywood hot spot, Serafina. So far no arrest for the assault but he’s likely to be sanctioned in some way for faking sick and skipping out on the depo. Watch Video
- Ashton Kutcher is on the Hill (Capitol Hill in Washington, DC that is) and making friends! Kutcher was testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee about human trafficking. Kutcher, who identifies as a democrat blew a kiss to Senator John McCain, a republican, after McCain made a comment about Kutcher’s looks. What did McCain say that prompted the kiss? “Ashton you’re better looking in the movies.” Sounds like there was a need to lighten the mood.
- Defamation suit against Bill Cosby dismissed. A judge in Massachusetts found that Katherine McKee, a woman who claimed to have been sexually assaulted by Cosby, had not shown he defamed her when his representatives called a 2014 New York Daily News story on her allegations defamatory and demanded a retraction. This decision in no way affects the criminal case pending against Cosby in Pennsylvania.
Week Ending 2.10.2017
- The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the lower court ruling in State of Washington v. Trump (aka travel ban). The three-judge voted unanimously. They denied the Justice Department’s request to reverse the Washington state judge’s restraining order that directed the authorities not to carry out Trump’s travel ban that prohibited citizens from seven majority-Muslim countries and from refugees worldwide to enter the United States.
- Beyonce has been sued by the estate of Anthony Barré, a deceased YouTube personality known Messy Mya. According to the suit, Beyonce stole a line from one of Messy Mya’s popular videos in which he says “a 27 piece, huh?” and used it in her very popular tune, Formation. Beyonce never sought nor received permission to use Mya’s phrase. His estate is seeking monetary damages.
- Shia LaBeouf’s HeWillNotDivide.Us performance has been shut down in New York. The Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, where the protest was live streamed from as performance art, and which LeBoeuf hoped would remain there for the next 4 years, found that the “artwork created an unexpectedly volatile situation and serious public safety hazards.”
- Nicolas Cage’s son, Weston, who has struggled with addiction, was arrested for drunk driving in California. Weston who is 26 years old and a father himself was involved in a minor accident for which he initially stopped but then fled the scene. Police gave chase and it all ended with Weston plowing his car into a tree. This is not Weston’s first run-in with the law–he has allegedly been arrested for domestic violence in the past.
- Wikipedia has banned the Daily Mail as a credible source on its pages. Apparently Wikipedia has debated this issue for over a year and finally concluded that the Daily Mail is not a reliable source and has a “reputation for poor fact checking, sensationalism, and flat-out fabrication.” The editors have gone even further and are encouraging users to review Daily Mail citations that are already on Wikipedia and remove or replace them.
Week Ending 2.3.2017
- Jason Hoppy, the ex husband of real housewife, Bethenny Frankel, was arrested in New York for allegedly screaming “I will destroy you,” to Bethenny while she was outside their daughter’s school. Good dad, right?
- Kim Kardashian was in New York providing testimony and evidence against her Paris attackers. Lucky for Kim, the French system is vastly different from ours and allows discretion to judges in criminal matters as to whether a victim must travel back to the jurisdiction of the alleged crime in order to be interviewed and/or offer evidence.
- Nicki Minaj’s LA home was burglarized and the suspects made off with more t $200,000 worth of jewelry and other items, as well as damaging her home. Thankfully, Nicki was out of town at the time of the crime. Surveillance video should turn up something so perps aren’t going to get too far.
- Johnny Depp’s legal battle with his managers is getting dirtier. They have now countersued him. In their cross-complaint they say Depp lived an ultra-extravagant lifestyle that he could not afford and that he alone is fully responsible for any financial turmoil he finds himself in today.
- Dr. Luke, Kesha’s former producer with whom she is embroiled in a bitter lawsuit is seeking to add a defamation claim against Kesha. This claim is based on the allegation that Kesha texted Lady Gaga claiming he raped another artist. It is Dr. Luke’s position that Kesha is on a malicious campaign to destroy his reputation and career. Kesha claims Dr. Luke is simply seeking revenge and is ruining her career further by not allowing her to release new music.
- Melania Trump’s libel suit against Daily Mail dismissed. But not because it lacked merit, rather it was dismissed because the State of Maryland has no ties with the litigation and therefore, the jurisdiction was improper.
Week Ending 1.27.2017
- LA judge found evidence of domestic violence and has issued an order prohibiting Robin Thicke from having contact with his ex-wife, Paula Patton, his six year old son Julian, and Paula’s mother. Robin must stay 100 yards clear of three of them or will be violating the Order and arrested.
- Shia LeBoeuf arrested, but released within hours, after getting into a fight with a protester at Shia’s NYC Trump live stream protest, He Will Not Divide Us.
- Frances Bean Cobain, daughter of the late Kurt Cobain, wants her estranged husband, Isaiah Silva to return Kurt’s 1959 Martin D-18E acoustic guitar. Frances says it’s a family heirloom and has filed legal papers asking the court to demand Isaiah to return it to her. Apparently, he has refused to do so since she filed for divorce last March.
- A judge has denied Jennifer Lopez’ request for a permanent restraining order against an alleged stalker who has followed her to Las Vegas and then to her Los Angeles home. She was granted a temporary order against him. The request for the permanent order was not denied because it lacked merit but rather because the stalker could not be located.
- Oscar de la Hoya was arrested for driving under the influence. California Highway Patrol observed him speeding in Pasadena, CA, pulled him over and performed field sobriety tests. De La Hoya failed those tests and was arrested. For full story about Oscar De La Hoya’s battle with addiction, click here.
Week Ending 1.20.2017
- A Dog’s Purpose premiere and press junkets cancelled amidst allegations of animal abuse on set.
- Apprentice contestant, Summer Zervos, filed a defamation lawsuit against President Trump, accusing him of lying about touching her in a sexually inappropriate way. Allegations include that Trump kissed and groped her in a hotel room in 2007. She is seeking an apology as well as compensatory and punitive damages.
- Cuba Gooding Jr responds to wife’s 2014 petition for separation with a more permanent move– he filed for divorce. He is seeking joint custody of their 10 year old daughter and has offered to pay spousal support.
- Singer Ciara has resolved her child custody case with her ex, Future, a rapper. They have agreed to joint custody of their two-year-old son, Future Zahir Wilburn.
- Paul McCartney is suing Sony/ATV, the leading music publisher with a catalogue of over 3 millions copyrights. McCartney is seeking copyright ownership of several songs he co-wrote with John Lennon when they were part of The Beatles.
Week Ending 1.13.2017
- Brad and Angelina have hired a private judge to make all legal decisions and to facilitate the expeditious resolution of any remaining issues as it relates to their divorce and to custody of their children.
- French police arrest 17 suspects in the KIm Kardashian robbery case.
- Robin Thicke and Paula embroiled in bitter custody dispute over 6 year old son, Julian.
- Blac Chyna’s former managers threaten to sue saying she owes the $3 million dollars.
- Uma Thurman in the middle of trial for custody of her daughter and it’s beyond nasty. Ex-fiancé (and father of her daughter) claiming Uma is mentally ill and treats her illness with a cocktail of prescription drugs and alcohol.
- Pharrell sued for copyright infringement AGAIN. This time Gwen Stefani is also along for the ride. Suit is over her 2014 song “Spark the Fire.” Allegedly a musician gave Stefani a copy of his song, Who’s Got My Lightah, in the late ’90s and she copied it. Suit is against Stefani’s company Harajuku Lovers, Interscope Records and names both Stefani and Williams personally.